On the first day of real estate class I always ask my students to raise their hands if they are getting into real estate because of HGTV, and without fail, about half the hands in the room go up.
As soon as we open the textbook and start diving into the content, I know there will be disappointed faces. Even though this happens every semester and I am prepared for it, I know that no matter what I do, a few of these students will quit as soon as they realize that real life in real estate isn’t what you see on tv.
Getting your real estate license and starting a sales career can be lucrative and enjoyable, but the classes are hard work, and the exam is worse than paper cuts under all 10 of your fingernails. (it really sucks).
Are you getting your real estate license or even thinking about it? Before you put in all the time and money to get your license, let’s bust the top 5 myths about real estate that many viewers believe.
- Buyers don’t just magically appear. TV makes it look easy to get clients. Like they are included with the job. When you see an agent starring on a TV show. Getting your real estate license and starting a sales career can be lucrative and enjoyable, but getting your license isn’t all fun and games. The classes are hard work, and the exam is worse than paper cuts under all 10 of your fingernails. (it really sucks). Once you make it through the exam though, that’s when the real work begins. You wake up everyday unemployed, so it has to be up to you to go out and find your clients. You don’t get to show up on set with them waiting for you. If only it were that easy.
You can be a success, but you need a plan
- Buyers don’t look at only 3 houses and choose one.
In true made for TV fashion, the agent shows up for work and their buyer is prepared to look at only 3 houses, then make a choice and submit an offer. The agent has access to show properties that are all similar enough to each other to make the choice challenging, yet not one of them has everything on the buyer’s wish list. It makes for pure drama.
Spoiler alert: It does NOT happen like this. Once I worked with a buyer for over a year. I showed her so many properties that she had to create a spreadsheet with 17 columns to keep track of them.
And then she decided to buy in Jersey. fml…
- There are contracts. And laws. And regulations. Here’s the kitchen, here’s the bathroom. Ummmm…what? That’s not a Realtor, that’s a tour guide. Everyone knows what the kitchen is because it has the stove. Duh. We are so much more than that. We are top notch negotiators, therapists, finance experts, connectors and contract writers. We need to know laws and regulations and customs and forms. We have to get licensed and then do continuing ed. We are experts in our field. We navigate our clients through the largest financial transactions of their lives. We create wealth. We bring them home.
4. You don’t have to be an expert in design. Seller want to grab your attention, so the houses are all of the trendiest designs. They are Pinterest worthy, and so often the center of focus. Real people don’t live like they are posing for Instagram, and they don’t expect their agent to be an interior designer. Most of the design stuff you see is all personal property anyway, that is, NOT real estate. In fact, it is not only something we aren’t experts in, it is NOT what we are licensed to sell. But a split level in the burbs or a 2 story row in the city might not be sexy enough for ratings. So take a breath and let the pressure go. You don’t need to be Joanna Gaines to sell houses. In fact, she knows how to style a bedroom but she probably doesn’t know how to fill out a sales contract.
5. Your real estate license is the key to unlocking the life of your dreams. Just take it out of your pocket, set your goal and do the work. Despite the hard work, uncertainty and glamorous-less life, that piece of paper is your ticket to freedom. It ain’t HGTV, but it will create the life that was meant to be.
Even though I have to rain on their parade and lecture about metes and bounds. I am so grateful for the spark that TV shows ignite in the minds of people. It shows them that they have the power to change people’s lives, empower themselves and their clients, and have unlimited freedom and earning potential. Even though I have to bring them back down to earth a bit, I thrive on showing people what’s possible.
If you are considering a career in real estate but are scared or stuck, grab my free guide on How to Beat the Real Estate exam. With a goal and a plan, you can build the life of your dreams.
Are you wondering if Real Estate is right for you? Post your question in the comments and I will jump in and answer.
Go from Dazed and Directionless to Real Estate Rock Star! Find out how you can apply to become a founding member of my six week intensive.